The Living Maori Village - Whakarewarewa
Te Whakarewarewa Tanga O Te Ope Taua A Wahiao translates to English as "The uprising of warriors (war party) of Wahiao"
Whakarewarewa is a truly unique experience. You are welcome to explore a living Maori village set amongst a highly active landscape erupting with geothermal activity.
Discover the lifestyle and traditions of the people of Tuhourangi/ Ngati Wahiao and how they have come to live in harmony with their unique geothermal environment.
Joining an hourly guided tour through Whakarewarewa Village you will see how geothermal activity is utilized for everyday life and learn about the culture and history of the village.
- Be Entertained by our Cultural Performance group, by way of song, dance and the almighty Haka (War Dance). Twice a day at 11.15am & 2.00pm.
- Exploring the walking tracks gives a chance to view beautiful hot lakes and mud pools as well as giving views of the village from above.
- History & Legends - Your guide will share with you the stories of early migration, geothermal activity in the area and the legends surrounding the Mt Tarawera eruption.
- Viewing the fully carved Ancestral Meeting House - learn of the great significance the carvings and woven panels have in preserving the genealogy, history and culture of the Tuhourangi, Ngati Wahiao tribe
- Views of Pohutu Geyser - an awesome display of mother nature's force and energy, observe the Pohutu and Prince of Wales Feathers Geysers erupting*
* Please note there is no access to the geysers from the village - they are viewed from our two lookout platforms
(Entry Free for under 5s)
*** Family Pass - Add 1-4 children to any two FULL PRICE adults on the way to checkout for just $13 ***
PLEASE BE AWARE DISCOUNTS ARE FOR ENTRY ONLY, AT THE SPECIFIC TIME LISTED